Types of hosting services
A hosting solution applies to saving and/or sharing given web content on a server run by a website hosting distributor. There are various sorts of hosting services utilized for various purposes, so let's have a peek at these. In this way, you can determine what you need, on the basis of whether you'd like to set up a web site, e-mails, or to share files with friends and colleagues.
- File hosting: a service offered by some hosts, which permits you to share big files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived files, etc. This solution is also known as file storage, and its sole objective is to share files, since it does not offer site uploading. The moment the files are uploaded, you will either obtain an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to view a list of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to see .html or .php web files in your web browser. Free file hosting accounts are often supported by displaying advertisements next to the download links, while a timer forces you to wait for a specific period of time to observe them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you possess a paid file hosting account, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download right away, and also there is no limit as far as the download speed and the file size are concerned.
At the moment, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting merchandisers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modern "cloud hosting". This is a completely inappropriate explanation of the real connotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would split the workload between autonomous groups of hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to attending miscellaneous website hosting services (mail, storage space, stats, DNS, databases, hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is simply a sort of a storage space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: comparable with file hosting; some providers offer a hosting solution for pictures exclusively. This hosting variant is suitable if you want to share a great number of pictures with chums or colleagues since the solution is commonly free of cost. You will receive a randomly generated link for each and every pic or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be used for websites.
- Email hosting: a solution dedicated to tackling your email box accounts. Some vendors offer web page hosting services for web sites, but do not supply an e-mail solution. If you want to open a mail address with your domain name but do not want to keep a site, then the email hosting service is what you want. You can set up e-mail address accounts and manage them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The email hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution permits you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a certain video clip, or you can embed the video file in your web page that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of utilizing this approach instead of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video brings about a certain amount of central processing unit load, so with a couple of videos and a few hundred web page viewers, you may have difficulty with your web page hosting quotas. Embedding the video will permit you to manage as many video files as you desire without hassling about system supplies.
- Website hosting: this is the solution that you require if you would like to have a website. To some degree, it incorporates all of the aforesaid hosting groups since, along with your sites, you can also host images and files, you can keep databases and emails, upload video files, etc. At HD Web Hosting, for example, you can explore web hosting and dedicated web server hosting accounts that permit you to have all of the aforementioned services in one single place. There may be limitations depending on the form of hosting solution that you've opted for - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your hosting plan may be better or worse compared to the typical email/file/video/image hosting plans that are meant for particular content only.